Same Day Surgery CenterWho We AreJiahui Health has created state-of-the-art Same Day Surger
Instructions for Superficial Skin Lesion ExcisioDear Sir/Madam:Greetings!Thank you for choosing the Jiahui Health Su
Instructions for Incision and Abscess DrainageDear Sir/Madam:Greetings！Thank you for choosing the Jiahui Health Su
When baby boys are born, their foreskin are stuck to the penis. It usually separates as boys grow up, to allow urine to better exit the body and lets the skin pull back when an erection occurs.
What is circumcision?
Circumcision is a procedure to remove the foreskin at the tip of the penis. We are performing this procedure as a day case. During the procedure, a special plastic ring will be attached to the penis, and the foreskin will be removed.
The benefit of circumcision：
There are several medical benefits to have circumcision.
• Circumcision is known as surgical vaccine, has many benefits in UTI and STD. The benefits ratio is 100:1
• Decreasethe risk of UTI: Uncircumcised children before 8 years oldhave a 12 fold risk in UTI, compared circumcised children
• Decrease the risk of STD: 60% or higher efficacy of Male Circumcision in protecting heterosexual men against HIV infection
• Decrease the risk of HPV infection:A male with an uncircumcised foreskin is 3 times more likely to be diagnosed with an HPV infection than a circumcised male
• Decrease the risk of penile cancer
The timing of circumcision：
There is no age limit with circumcision. It can be done in the hospital a few days or weeks after your baby is born. The decision leaves up to parents and supports use of anesthetics for infants who have the procedure.It is a quick procedure, before it occurs, the discussion of the reasons for circumcision, the benefits, risks, and alternatives and ensures that the parents understand what will happen during the procedure, and final decision will be made by them.
The procedure can be performed at the hospital before the mother and baby are discharged, or can be performed as an outpatient procedure with local anesthesia as late as four months after birth. Children over 4 months usually require sedation before the procedure.It has been proved that the complication after circumcision is 1/20of children over one year of age, and many of them are mild complications such as blood infiltration. About 93.3% of circumcision in the United States is done in the neonatal period.
The benefits of newborn circumcision：
• Low anesthesia risk; local anesthesia applied, no fluids/ medication requirement post procedure
• No memory of the procedure
• No need to be fasting. The procedure will be performed between two meals
• No need to stay in hospital overnight; can go home at same day once post void succeed
• No need to restrict baby’s movements
• No special care
• No need to worry baby with phimosis when growing up
Post operation care：
The plastic ring will drop off on its own - usually within a week. Once the penis heals, wash it with soap and water during normal bathing.
Lane, C., Bailey, R. C., Luo, C., & Parks, N. (2018). Adolescent Male Circumcision for HIV prevention in High Priority Countries: Opportunities for Improvement. Clinical Infectious Diseases, 66 (s3), 161-165
Morris, B. J., Bailis, S. A., & Wiswell, T. E. (2014). Circumcision Rates in the United States: Rising or Falling？What Effect Might the New Affirmative Pediatric Policy Statement Have？Mayo clinic, 89 (5),677-686
Schoen, E. J. (2005). Circumcision for preventing urinary tract infections in boys: North American View.Arch Dis Child. 90(8), 772-773